- Think about where everything comes from and how it was made
- Use an alternative means of transportation for commuting once this week
- Be kinder to the earth and the living things on it
- Buy local products
- Buy organic products
- Do something earth friendly each day
- Put weather stripping under my front door
- Live simply
- Live close to the earth
- Not buy anything I don’t truly need
- Clear my house of items I no longer need
- Encourage my friends and family to care and to do their part
- Buy my mom an easy to use recycle bin
- Continue learning about what it takes
- Spread the word
Each day, every action counts. Starting with today, focus on the positive and list everything you did that had a beneficial impact on our environment, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem.
- Only drove part of the way to work (there was a snow drift I couldn’t drive through so I walked the rest of the way, even if it was only 100 yards I saved some gas).
- Brought my lunch in a reusable glass container
- Took a shorter shower and didn’t wash my hair
- Used a cloth napkin with dinner
- Saved the ribbon from a package to reuse it
- Put an empty plastic container in the bin to be recycled
- Composted a banana peel, a tea bag, broccoli stems, and peanut shells
- Turned my heat down four degrees and wrapped up in a blanket
- Never turned on the TV
- Didn’t eat any meat
- Unplugged the microwave after using it
Reflect on the positive actions you make each day; it can help make a goal seem more attainable. Every little action counts. I may not have saved the world today, but I definitely did my part to help even if it was something small and simple that I do everyday.
It’s easy to get wrapped up in the worries of the world and the overbearing sense of impending doom brought on by even just the words “climate change” and “global warming”. They are true worries and problems to be dealt with, but it’s also necessary to stay positive and believe in the fact that we can make a difference. As the old adage goes, always leave a place better than you found it. That’s my plan, if I can leave this world a better place than it was when I arrived then I’ve done my part.
Happy New Year to you, best of luck with your resolutions and I hope that you are able to do your part.